10% off with promocode SUMMERFALL
Kensington market and Chinatown are some of the most bustling and culturally diverse neighbourhoods in Toronto, home to many artists, immigrants and people from all walks of life. Led by a knowledgeable local guide, this tour takes you through the areas' vibrant streets, back alleys and into restaurants serving some of the best food you can find in the city that you might've otherwise missed. You'll learn all about the area's history, culture and architecture, which has been painted, sculpted and otherwise decorated by the area's creative minds. We also conduct our tours with a sustainable tourism ethos, aiming to disrupt daily life in the community as little as possible while ensuring equitable wages for all of our tour guides.
1. Mother's Dumplings - We meet at the #1 location in Toronto for Dumplings, where you can see cooks hard at work hand-making over 3000 dumplings each day
2. Mashion Bakery - At this traditional bakery we taste cultural fusion in action through their Portuguese-inspired Chinese egg tarts
3. Chinese Traditional Buns - This place may not look like much from the outside, but their Dan Dan Noodles can't be beat, you'll see
4. Global Cheese - With a wide selection of specialty cheeses, Global Cheese is a local shop that will fulfill any cheese lover's dreams
5. Golden Patty - We'll taste a delicious Jamaican patty in this little shop surrounded by baked goods from around the world
6. Fresco's Fish and Chips - Voted some of the best Fish and Chips in the city, Fresco's fish is Ocean Wise Certified and verifiably delicious
7. Pancho's Bakery - We finish off the tour at Pancho's Bakery enjoying their mouthwatering churros
One-of-a-Kind Food Tasting — On our 3-hour guided tour of Kensington Market & Chinatown, we visit seven unique tasting locations. Each one ensures that you will enjoy unique and exciting flavours. We sample a variety of food from Chinatown while visiting small businesses run by immigrant families before entering into the heart of Kensington market. The food is vibrant and exciting just like the people, bolstered by the richness of cross-cultural connections. You’ll have enough to eat for a hearty and satisfying lunch with dishes that include dumplings, Dan Dan Noodles, fish & chips and a Caribbean specialty. All food tastings are included in the ticket price. We even throw in a water bottle to keep you hydrated.
Cultural experience — As you take in the eclectic streets of these neighbourhoods, you’ll get the chance to experience life as a native Torontonian. Our knowledgeable tour guides highlight the fascinating history of this rich cultural hub, so you can really appreciate the city’s diversity. We discuss the history of Chinatown and the subsequent waves of immigration to the area. Crossing over into Kensington Market, you won’t be able to help but notice traces of people who built this community from the ground up. Eclectic architecture, explosive street art and more will be revealed as we take you behind the scenes. The tour also takes you to explore the back alleys and hidden gems of this multi-faceted neighbourhood. Our enthusiastic local guides share their knowledge and recommendations, infusing these stories with personal anecdotes. We can guarantee it will be the most interesting stroll you’ve taken in a while!
$59 CAD [$44 USD] + applicable taxes and fees
11:15 AM most days (view the calendar for exact times)
All ages and fitness levels are welcome. However, please note that due to mobility restrictions at some of the vendors this tour is unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
Maximum 16 people per tour
Offered on request and depending on availability. Just fill out the form in our private and group tours page.
The tour runs rain or shine, and even in the snow. We highly recommend you bring appropriate clothing for the winter season and sun protection in the summer.
We are happy to provide vegetarian options on request, please specify any dietary restrictions while booking.
The tour provides enough food for a full and hearty lunch, so make sure you come hungry!
Tickets must be purchased before 10 a.m. on any given tour date. We recommend booking your tickets in advance as most of the tours tend to sell out.
The nearest garage is the Green P Carpark at 20 St Andrew St, with further options located at Dundas and Spadina. However, since parking is limited we highly recommend you take public transit. Our first stop at Mother's Dumplings is easily accessible by the Spadina and College streetcars.